- Monday through Friday business hours (no evenings, weekends or Federal holidays)
The laboratory Phlebotomist performs and/or coordinates a variety of clerical, phlebotomy, and sample processing procedures to ensure quality patient care on adult, pediatric and neonatal populations. The laboratory phlebotomist processes telephone requests; enters patient data and examination requisition data into the computer; acknowledges EMR orders, coordinates and performs sample collection processes; prepares all types of laboratory samples adhering to sample acceptance criteria; and distributes or dispatches samples to the correct examination location.
- Patient/Customer Relations: Greets and receives patients in a courteous, professional manner. Promotes and establishes favorable customer contact and relations. Chooses age-specific approach.
- Processes Samples: Processes samples of various types for appropriate clinical testing. Transports samples (i.e., prepares for delivery to main laboratory, reference laboratory if indicated.
- Orders for Testing: Order type acknowledgements, requisition, electronic, verbal or fax. Verifies orders, i.e., physical panel orders, standing orders. Registers patients in computer· Enters orders. Creates collection lists/labels.
- Uses Laboratory Information System & Network Information System (billing): Correctly enters patient demographic/insurance information. Correctly enters test requests. Handles inquiries. Stores documents and records. Performs proper downtime procedures. Creates encounters.
- Collects and Receives Samples: Identifies patients, collects samples and labels and documents sample collection. Provides post-phlebotomy care and instructions. Receives samples from outreach locations. Delivers samples to processing area/technical area.
- Other Duties as required: Time Management control and supply inventory control i.e., correct documentation on packing slip and unpacking and rotating of supplies. Phlebotomy housekeeping. Completes Education Assignments. Attends appropriate in-services as requested and staff meetings. Follows safety guidelines i.e., PPE.
Job Specific Competencies
- Apply Quality Management principles to the work environment and continually strive for improvement.
- Display professional behavior.
- Take responsibility for professional acts.
- Practice within the scope of professional competence.
- Practice safe work procedures.
- Maintain and improve skills and knowledge.
- Recognize and show respect for the patient.
- Protect patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Work collaboratively with other health care professionals.
Education and Qualifications
- High School Diploma, or equivalent or Vocational Training Education in Phlebotomy.
- Previous experience with outpatient/independent laboratory testing.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to adapt to changing workloads and stressful situations.
- Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Commitment to continuing education.
- Competence with PC based computer systems.
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver's license for transportation.
- Phlebotomy certification.